Golden Gate Bay Cruise®
The Original San Francisco Bay Cruise
Launched in 1939 as part of the Golden Gate International Exposition, our Golden Gate Bay Cruise has been a highlight of any visit to San Francisco for nearly 80 years. Cruise along San Francisco’s breathtaking waterfront, under the majestic Golden Gate Bridge, and loop closely around notorious Alcatraz Island. On our Golden Gate Bay Cruise you’ll discover the city’s colorful history and world famous landmarks with personal headphone audio in 16 languages. During the Golden Gate Bay Cruise, you may also experience up-close wildlife encounters including seagulls, pelicans, and sea lions. At times, you may see even harbor porpoises and whales, so be alert!
Departing from the heart of historic Fisherman’s Wharf at Pier 43½, cruise alonside the San Francisco’s remarkable cityscape and view the lively neighborhood of North Beach, the famous swimming clubs of Aquatic Park, the historic vessels moored at Hyde Street Pier, the San Francisco Maritime National Park, and numerous other exciting sights along the way.
As you head west towards the Golden Gate Bridge, you’ll view Fort Mason and the Marina District, which was damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Next, take in views of Crissy Field and the lush hillsides of the Presidio – both former Army installations – that are now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Don’t miss incredible photo opportunities while cruising directly under the massive 4,200-foot long, 746-foot high span of the Golden Gate Bridge.
As you head back into the Bay, travel past the wildlife reserves of the Marin Headlands and the legendary town of Sausalito, which was once home to the late-1960’s Flower Generation. With Angel Island State Park to your left, you’ll slowly cruise around (and up-close to) the infamous Alcatraz Island. On your way back to Fisherman’s Wharf, you’ll see the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, and Coit Tower in the distance.
After a full-hour of exciting sights on Red and White Fleet’s Golden Gate Bay Cruise, the barking sea lions over at nearby Pier 39 will welcome you back as you approach Pier 43½. Here, you can visit two National Historic Landmarks, the WWII submarine USS Pampanito and merchant marine vessel SS Jeremiah O’Brien.
Details on our Golden Gate Cruise Bay Cruise:
- Available on board is a full bar with drinks and snacks (at reasonable prices).
- Cruises Depart from Pier 43 ½, Fisherman’s Wharf.
- There are 8-18 daily departures from Pier 43½ starting at 10:00am (and as early as 9:15am in the Summer months).
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Boarding on first-come, first-serve basis. Your ticket is valid for any departure time within 365 days from date of purchase.
- The Golden Gate Bay Cruise departures between 1:10pm and 3:45pm tend to be visited by tour groups. For a more peaceful experience, we recommend hopping on earlier or later cruises, or try our Bridge 2 Bridge Cruise in the afternoon hours