Guest Experience Manager
San Francisco’s Red and White Fleet is looking to hire a full-time Guest Experience Manager to join its team of passionate hospitality industry professionals. With more than 120 years of operating experience, the family-owned fleet specializes in showcasing the landmarks, history and sights of San Francisco on multi-lingual sightseeing cruises and sunset buffet sailings from Pier 43 ½ in the heart of Fisherman’s Wharf.
The Guest Experience Manager will be responsible for leading the Box Office, Customer Service, and Food & Beverage departments, ensuring that customers enjoy the delivery of world-class guest service in an organized and positive environment, while making sure all loss prevention and operational safeguards are met. The Guest Experience Manager will develop customer experience quality standards, communicate them to staff, and assure expectations are exceeded through onsite management, regular feedback analysis and staff coaching. Furthermore, the Guest Experience Manager will also be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining security systems to solve loss vulnerabilities in a retail environment. The detailed job description can be viewed below.
The ideal candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree in business or hospitality management, and have a minimum of 5 years of experience in leading customer operations. The candidate needs to be outgoing, pro-active, highly organized, solution focused, and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work flexible work hours, including weekends, is required.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to send their resume and cover letter with a detailed explanation as to why one is a fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Position Title: Guest Experience Manager
Reports To: VP of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervises: Box Office Supervisor, CSA Supervisor, Food and Beverage Supervisor
Projected Work Schedule and Hours- 40+ Hours per week with schedule that may vary based on business needs
The Guest Experience Manager will be responsible for leading the Box Office, Customer Service, and Food and Beverage departments, ensuring that customers enjoy the delivery of world-class guest service at Red and White Fleet in an organized and positive environment, while making sure all loss prevention and operational safeguards are met.
As the customer experience quality manager, the Guest Experience Manager is responsible for communicating customer experience quality standards and expectations to staff, assisting with customer feedback analysis, and providing coaching and support for customer service quality improvement. Customer experience quality standards are developed in conjunction with the VP of Operations and the VP of Sales & Marketing.
Required qualifications are as follows:
· Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field
· Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management with training in Revenue and Cost Control, as well as Restaurant and Catering Management
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in leading customer operations, including team management and project management skills
· Deep understanding of the challenges and requirements of running excellent customer service operations
· Experience in designing, implementing, and maintaining security systems and controls to solve loss vulnerabilities
· Working understanding of managing café sales and operations, including inventory management.
· Theater experience or strong familiarity with improvisation important
· Must be able to provide oversight to multiple teams in accordance with business best practices and organizational policies
· Ability to coach team members on crowd management, guest engagement strategies, performances, and in using inquiry based communication methodologies
· Successful collaboration experience and negotiating skills
Skills & Personality Traits:
· Advanced Computer literacy, Presentation skills, Customer service expertise
· Positive demeanor with solution focus and creative problem solving skills
· Demonstrated ability in working with diversity of skills, professions and cultures
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
· Fluency in additional languages a plus
· Must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays
Functions and Responsibilities
1. Guest Experience Management
a. Provide a world-class guest experience at Pier 43 ½ and on the cruise vessels by demonstrating active involvement in the management & coordination of site operations.
b. Perform regular assessments and reports on customer experience and product quality, while recommending opportunities for improvement by participating in cruises regularly.
c. Oversee and assure all services on public cruises (e.g. Sunset Cruises, special events) are offered safely, timely and at predefined quality standards.
i. Services offered include performances by entertainers, the headphone audio system, on board café sales, and catering by third party vendors.
d. Develop and uphold quality standards for tangible customer experience elements involving the Red and White Fleet facility, equipment and technology.
e. Assure state of the art equipment cleanliness, design, efficiency & effectiveness.
f. Develop and maintain décor standards in regards to the box office windows, planters at the pier and on the docks, tables aboard the vessels (linens and center pieces), balloons, buffet tables, café counters and restrooms.
2. Customer Service Quality Management
a. Collaborate with Sales & Marketing VP and Operations VP in establishing and updating customer service standards, policies, and procedures
b. Monitor and assure customer service standards are met, policies and procedures are followed
c. Maintain & communicate customer service standards & procedures
d. Assess and evaluate overall customer service quality and relation to service standards; identify opportunities for customer service improvement
e. Provide customer service training (scheduled group trainings) and personal on-the-spot coaching
f. Assure effective customer service quality communication among staff and management (includes staff newsletter)
g. Manage staff customer service reward and recognition programs
h. Coach (support) individual staff towards the achievement of customer service standards and success in providing great customer service
3. Guest Communication Management
a. Assure timely, clear and professional communication with guests through personal, recorded and visual means:
i. Verbal in-person communication in line with customer service standards through the following staff:
1. Customer Service Agents
2. Box Office Staff
3. Boarding Agents
4. Café Attendants
ii. Written & pictorial communication through signs:
1. Communicate signage needs for the pier, box office, boarding area, café, buffet tables, and the vessels to VP of Sales & Marketing.
2. Communicate signage needs to ensure a safe environment on the vessel to the VP of Operations.
iii. Recorded announcements:
1. Public Announcements at pier: Assure music and announcement system is operational and request any necessary updates/ changes from VP of Sales and Marketing
2. Announcements video headphones: Assure regular monitoring, quality and effective operation of headsets
4. Crowd Management
a. Collaborate with VP of Operations in developing best practices for crowd management standards that include the following areas:
i. Box Office lines for ticket purchases
ii. Boarding Lines for two dock gates
iii. Onboard Café lines for drink, snack and merchandise purchases
iv. Disembarkation lines
v. Flow of guests on the vessels, ensuring visibility and comfort for all
5. Loss Prevention Management
a. Cash Management at Box Office & Onboard Cafes
i. Monitor and assure department cashiering policies and procedures
ii. Monitor daily sales cashier report
iii. Review accounting reports for accuracy and consistency
iv. Ensure cash pick up and drop off process is accurate
v. Oversee cash deliveries and pickups are correct
vi. Review cancellation and reprint reports for accuracy
vii. Assure Security policies are always a priority
viii. Review and resolve accounting inaccuracies
ix. Follow up / interfacing with Accounting Manager
x. Perform weekly random checks of box office security videos and compare to ticketing system transaction data
b. Access Control Checks
i. Collaborate with VP of Sales & Marketing & IT Manager on coding event tickets with appropriate access control limitations & scan codes
ii. Monitor access control data to assure only ticketed clients access vessels
iii. Establish access control policies and assure adherence to policies by staff
iv. Provide coaching to staff on dealing with guests that have rejected tickets
v. Report on access control data to VP of Operations and VP of Sales & Marketing
vi. Communicate discrepancies right away.
c. Ordering of Box Office, Guest Services and Food and Beverage Supplies
i. Approves all products ordered, monitors inventories and quality control
ii. Assures maintenance of inventory control systems as well as purchasing and receiving products and supplies
i. Assures facilities are maintained and cleanliness of equipment and work areas to health code standards
ii. Provides leadership in the company’s emergency response procedures, security procedures and environmental policies
6. Staff Management
a. Approve scheduling all departmental staff
b. Oversee and approve the recruitment and hiring of departmental staff
c. Oversee orientation and training to performance expectations
d. Provide ongoing feedback, supervision, coaching and development
e. Manage performance quality and improvement
f. Provide performance review, evaluation, and recognition
g. Approve departmental payroll in accordance with company standards
h. Provide coaching, direction and guidance to department supervisors
i. Assure department supervisors accountability by assisting in the development of project lists, task prioritization, weekly meetings and reports.
j. Assure effective communication among staff and management
k. Assure departmental coordination with the Sales, Accounting and Operations Departments.
l. Approve & enforce departmental policies and procedures and update as necessary
m. Assure departments receive all necessary equipment and required support
n. Implement departmental strategies and training as established by management
7. Special Projects and Assignments
a. Projects and assignments as dictated by senior management
Success Factors and Job competencies
1. Leadership- demonstrated ability to lead by example as a professional member of the Red and White fleet
2. Planning- Ability to think ahead and plan in advance for short term and long term success
3. Time Management- Ability to prioritize day to day duties while managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
4. Problem Solving- Resolving sales , customer, partner and technical problems at a department level
5. Technical proficiency- Strong understanding and ability to use all systems required in the department
6. Team Builder- Must develop and foster teamwork within department
7. Customer Service- Must excel in and ensure excellent customer service throughout department
8. Initiative- Ability to challenge oneself and others to take action and develop new opportunities
Physical demands and Working Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
2. This employee must occasionally be able to lift 25 pounds.
3. This employee must be able to independently travel
1. Must work in office where space is limited and shared.
2. Temperature and climate may vary
3. Moderate noise level